Legal Rules For Investing Retirement Trust Assets
LEGAL RULES FOR INVESTING RETIREMENT TRUST ASSETS
(good rules for investing the assets of any trust)
(and also good rules for personal investing)
1. The structure of the pension laws
2. The roles of lawyers in retirement planning
3. Prudency and other legal rules for investing assets of retirement plans and private trusts (and good rules for investing personal assets)
4. The four ways to structure retirement plan investments
5. The new Department of Labor (DOL) disclosure requirements applicable to retirement plans that require or permit participants to direct the investments of their retirement accounts
Practice Areas: Employee Benefit Planning Law; Estate Planning Law; Probate and Trust Law; Business Planning Law.
Education: University of Nevada, Reno (B.S., 1973); University of Notre Dame Law School (J.D., 1976).
Bar and Court Admissions: All Nevada state courts; United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit; United States District Court for the District of Nevada; United States Tax Court.
Legal Affiliations: State Bar of Nevada (Member, Section of Taxation: Chair, Employee Benefits Committee, 1986); State Bar of California; Washoe County and American (Member, Section on Taxation) Bar Associations; Estate Planning Council of Reno; Nevada Barristers Club (President, 1980-1981); Certified Specialist, Taxation Law, The State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization; Best Lawyers in America in Employee Benefits Law (20+ yrs.). Member of the TE/GE Council, a liaison committee of two pension lawyers from each state and the hierarchy of the IRS to address pension tax law issues.
Reported Decisions: Strange v. Commissioner, 270 F.3d 786 (9th Cir. 2001); Private Letter Ruling 200135004.